Filed under: Blogs
A few weeks back I heard rumours about a show happening in New York that I needed to go to. This was the flyer I saw:
I check out some message boards, found out some people already had tickets and after going to the website to purchase my own, I discovered that tickets were ‘unavailable’. I read this to mean ‘sold out’ and was severely disapointed.
THEN, yesterday, great news via Brand New’s Twitter account; tickets were to go on sale TODAY at noon. The show was now on Saturday November 28th as well, which is a plus.
I’ll save all the boring details and skip to me, at 12:01pm, sitting happily at my computer reading my confirmation that I successfully purchased tickets to the show. I can’t wait, I’m more than just excited, and here are the reasons why:
- It’s Brand New. Easily one of my favorite bands, and the only band I’ve ever travelled to see. I’ve seen them multiple times in Toronto as well as Buffalo, Boston and Detroit, and each of those trips over the border were specifically to see them play. (best show: Town Ballroom in Buffalo with Manchester Orchestra and Kevin Devine)
- It’s GlassJaw. This is exciting for a few reasons; one being that Worship & Tribute is one of my all time favorite albums. Secondly, the only time I saw them perform live was at Warped Tour which really doesn’t count in my books, and how about the fact that they’ve been broken up for years and this is still considered part of their reunion tour?
- It’s their home town. Both Brand New and Glassjaw are from the New York area, which means I get to see them play in their home town/city. As a general rule I’d say that most bands play best in front of a hometown crowd, and are more willing to go all out.
- First trip to New York. Self explainatory in most ways, but also because Michael moved there this year and it’s a great reason to go visit.
- Both bands will have recent releases. Brand New releases Daisy in September, Glassjaw to release both an EP and a full length soon.
- ‘+ special guests’. The special guests have not yet been announced but considering who these bands are and who they’re friends with, these special guests should be good. Could it be Get Up Kids as part of their reunion touring? Manchester Orchestra? Anathallo? Maybe a Movielife reunion? I’ve read that they know who will be playing but haven’t announced who because they want people to buy the tickets to see BN+GJ, which makes sense to me and makes me wonder who else would be playing that would have more grab than BN or GJ.
I’m sure I could come up with more reasons, but those are key.
Can’t wait until November.
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment