On Friday, at work, I received an e-mail asking me what my favorite 10 albums of the past decade were. The purpose? MTV News is doing a special about the past decade to air close to the new year and so they’re tallying up our votes to make the list. They gave us some suggestions and off I went to make my selections.
I thought it would be easier than it was. Out of the choices they gave me I had a list of 10, but also had a list of 10 that weren’t on that list and that I didn’t feel I should submit, simply because the purpose of the submissions was to tally up the choices for a final list, and my choices would not have made any sort of impact whatsoever to the final tally.
But it did get me thinking, and so I made a top 25 list of releases of the past decade. Even at 25, this list is so hard to do and I know I must have missed some key albums, so let me know if I missed anything. And truth be told, I’ll probably be changing/rearranging this list over the next little while.
From 2000-2009, my top 25 albums of the decade:
- Saves The Day ‘Stay What You Are’ (2001)
- Cursive ‘The Ugly Organ’ (2003)
- Thrice ‘The Illusion of Safety’ (2002)
- Say Anything ‘…Is A Real Boy’ (2004)
- Rx Bandits ‘The Resignation’ (2003)
- Manchester Orchestra ‘Everything To Nothing’ (2009)
- Moneen ‘Are We Really Happy With Who We Are Right Now?’ (2003)
- Glassjaw ‘Worship and Tribute’ (2002)
- At The Drive In ‘Relationship Of Command’ (2000)
- Brand New ‘The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me’ (2006)
- Brand New ‘Deja Entendu’ (2003)
- Radiohead ‘in Rainbows’ (2007)
- Less Than Jake ‘Borders & Boundaries’ (2000)
- Death Cab for Cutie ‘Transatlanticism’ (2003)
- Taking Back Sunday ‘Tell All Your Friends’ (2002)
- The Mars Volta ‘De-loused in the Comatorium’ (2003)
- Muse ‘Origin Of Symmetry’ (2001)
- The Postal Service ‘Give Up’ (2003)
- Manchester Orchestra ‘Like A Virgin Losing A Child’ (2006)
- Arcade Fire ‘Funeral’ (2004)
- Modest Mouse ‘Good News For People Who Love Bad News’ (2004)
- Thrice ‘Beggars’ (2009)
- MGMT ‘Oracular Spectacular’(2008)
- Phoenix ‘Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix’ (2009)
- Blood Brothers ‘Crimes´(2004)
Thoughts? What would you change? What did I miss? What’re your top 5 or 10 albums of the decade?
Honorable Mentions: Coheed and Cambria ‘Second Stage Turbine Blade’ | Coheed and Cambria ‘In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth’ | Rx Bandits ‘…And The Battle Begun’ | Thrice ‘The Artist in the Ambulance’ | Thrice ‘Vheissu’ | Kevin Devine ‘Put Your Ghost To Rest’ | Brand New ‘Your Favorite Weapon’ | The Get Up Kids ‘Guilt Show’ | MxPx The Everpassing Moment | Dashboard Confessional ‘The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most’ | Japandroids ‘Post Nothing’ | anything by New Found Glory | Anything by Anathallo | Anything by The Rocket Summer | Anything by Jimmy Eat World | OutKast ‘Stankonia’
3 Comments so far
Leave a comment